Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

New Beginnings

This point in our life brings a cascade of newness springing from two sources: the completion of our time at Ecology Action, and the impending birth of our own child. The ultimate outcome of these transitions allows us the same degree of freedom that we had when we were married a little over five years ago: we find ourselves setting a new course for our lives.
In anticipation of a life together we found our combined vision was for an existence that emphasized simplicity and a degree of self-sufficiency blended with value of community. We decided, in light of that realization, that our first step should be to learn how to raise food for ourselves. That led to our 2005 internship on an organic farm under the tutelage of Steve Moore, a shining star in the small-scale farming firmament. He pointed us, at the end of our internship there, toward Ecology Action's three-year apprenticeship in the Grow Biointensive small-scale sustainable model of agriculture, which we applied for and were accepted to. Finishing the apprenticeship in early 2009, we stayed on for an additional season to learn more and help instruct the new apprentices and interns.
That's what our last transition led to.
Now, having spent five years learning the first aspect of simple living to which we aspired, and having come a long way in many other facets of self-sufficiency, we have the world open to us. I wonder what the next five years will bring.
The only surity is the baby, due in June, and the garden, which is due as soon as we get in the soil towards the end of this week. We expect both to be sources of joy and fatigue, and are as prepared as anyone can think they might be.
And, of course, all this change precipitates a new blog! The Golden Rule Garden blog goes marching on, with Ellen documenting the life and times there. I found it to be an excellent way of processing my own learning, then later a resource for others interested in the many aspects of Grow Biointensive practiced and taught in that setting. In this blog we'll talk about our garden, our teaching, and any creative projects that might be benefitted or benefit others by being aired out on the internet.
Don't worry about the color scheme - that will probably change. I enjoy posting photos, too, but we have no digital camera right now. So if anyone out there has an old one they don't want anymore, well, you know where to send it. Otherwise it will be a bit before pictures become a part of the blog.
There! The hardest part is the first post, and now we may commence blogging...

7 comments:

  1. Hooray! I get to be the first comment on your new blog! I loved your words about the color scheme. :) And I can't wait to follow the internet version of your self-sustainbility progress. You guys continue to be an inspiration to me, and I wish you all the best! Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pleased to leave the second comment EVER on your new blog. Since you're farming in my neck of the woods, I'm really to excited to see how your family's adventures in simple living go. Do you have a shelter at this point? Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! You've both kicked it off to a great start :)
    We have a substantial shelter: an old, very sturdy farmhouse. It's Mom's, and we expect to live in it till we envision and construct something of our own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margo & Dan: I’m so happy to see you both back on the radar. You have both been such an inspiration on my life. I learn best by example and I can’t think of a better couple to look to when it comes to a life based on kindness, compassion, happiness, and some good ol fun.
    I look forward to following your adventures as they unfold and learning along the way – mistakes and all.

    Congratulations on the upcoming addition to the R-M family.

    Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DAN AND MARGO,
    you can't believe how happy this blog makes me! I'm sitting in my kitchen, drinking my first cup of coffee here, and just loving it! I hopefully will have photos of my new garden soon! Margo, you look SUPER!!
    AND THE START OF THE GARDEN LOOKS FABULOUS!AND I LOVED THE FLATS!
    Dan, you look GREAT too! Ok, that's enough of exclamation points and capital letters.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dan and Margo
    It is so great to hear from you! See that life is moving and growing. It`s beautiful. Peace & Happiness & Love around you! Marie Laure

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just finished a nice visit with the two and 3/4 of you! Now I'm checking out your blog and adding my voice of affirmation to the wonderful people you are and are becoming. You make a parent proud!
    Love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete